Ceci Bastida’s New Podcast Explores Punk Rock’s Latin Roots
Fresh produce media and Audible launched the Punk in translation: Latin origins podcast. The project “tells the stories of Latinx artists and the overlooked role of Latin music in the origins and evolution of punk,” according to a press release.
In addition, Punk in translation: Latin origins is Audible’s first production to be released simultaneously in English and Spanish.
Read more: Mel D. Cole on capturing Black Lives Matter protests: ‘It’s bigger than me’
This Bastida, creator of the Latinx punk band Tijuana No!, hosts the show. Punk musicians from the 60s to the present day join Bastida on the podcast. The episodes feature a number of punk legends, including Joan Jett, kennedy dead‘ Jello Biafra, Alice bag, blondeit is Clem Burke and Downtown Boys‘ Victoria Ruiz.
Punk in translation: Latin origins spans eight episodes, beginning with a discussion of ? and the Mysterians. Part of the rock explosion of the 1960s, the band were actually the first band to be described as “punk” in a music magazine. Notable for their hit “96 Tears”, the members were the sons of Mexican migrant workers.
The podcast is one of many projects from Fresh Produce Media that has been greenlit by Audible for 2022.
Check out a list of episodes below and listen on Audible.
Punk in translation: Latin origins episodes
1. “A bunch of strangers” – ? and the Mysterians
2. “It’s Cha Cha Rock” – Los Saicos
3. “The Secret Latinx History of CBGB” – Arturo Vega and Rosie Rex
4. “Riot Girl Before Riot Grrrls” – Alice Bag
5. “The Chicano Punk Revolution”
6. “Proudly Queer, Latinx & Punk” – Kid Congo Powers
7. “Punk Isn’t Dead: Latinx Punk Lives”
8. “Tijuana Si! -Julieta Venegas